Sunday, November 21, 2010

Crazy Nine-Patch Lattice Quilt

I've been super excited to post this project. It's been done for a while, but since it was a surprise for one of my awesome friends (soon to be new mommy!) I didn't want to spoil the surprise.

I'm kind of disappointed with my photos, because the pictures don't do the quilt justice, but it turned out absolutely adorable. The pattern is from Elizabeth Hartman (from the Oh, Fransson! blog). I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I love her quilts. They are so my flavor. Anywho, back to the quilt...

I had so much fun picking out material for this quilt. The color pallet is a little different than I have ever worked with before, and I LOVED IT!
One of my favorite things about Elizabeth's quilts is that she usually pieces the back too. It adds such a fun pop to a quilt. Something kind of a little unexpected!
I tried quilting this one in a new way. I felt like the lines and angles of the quilt were all super harsh, so I thought that by quilting little circles all over it would soften it up a bit. The effect was just what I was imagining. It used a TON of thread, like three spools, but I'll definitely do it again. It was fun to quilt it, and I think it should stand up to multiple washes. (Which is key for a baby quilt!)
And icing on the quilt. I got to watch Natalie open the gift. Most of my quilts get shipped off to family that lives half a country away, so actually seeing somebody enjoy what I gave them was kind of exciting. She loves it...and that is all that matters! Just two or three weeks and she'll have a beautiful baby girl to wrap up in that quilt!

1 comment:

  1. Yay, so beautiful! Jeff and I both love it, it will definitely be a treasure for us and our little girl :)

    ReplyDelete